Skip navigation

Frequently Asked Questions
Frequently Asked Questions

Here are the answers to frequently asked questions.


There are usually two construction crane courses per year. Usually one during the winter and one at the beginning of the summer.

No. An preliminary course is offered covering six categories of smaller machinery, including forklifts.

The course takes place in the online education system of the AOSH. Students can therefore study wherever and whenever it suits them on a computer, tablet and/or smartphone. The program is open for 8 weeks from registration and takes approximately 15-18 hours to complete.

The primary course ends with a written multiple-choice test. Testing takes place at the premises of the AOSH or at partners. A valid photo ID must be shown before the test.

At the beginning of the program, students can choose the date and location for the written text after completing the program. That decision can be changed, but with 48 hours notice of changes.

The course is theoretical and intended for those who want to acquire the right to handle explosives and carry out explosive work according to the Regulations on Explosives and Precursors for Explosives.

The courses are for drivers who transport dangerous goods. They are both theoretical and practical and end with an exam.

In order to obtain a certificate from the AOSH regarding sufficient skills for explosive work, the following requirements must be met:

  • Be 20 years old.
  • Have attended a course on the handling of explosives that is recognized by the AOSH and passed a written exam.
  • Have passed a practical test given by an examiner on behalf of the AOSH.

Once a year. Usually in the spring.

The asbestos course is an online course developed in collaboration with Iðan Education Center. It is held every other month.

The AOSH holds a construction crane course and an introductory course for smaller machinery.

The preliminary course provides theoretical qualifications for:

  • Forklifts with a lifting capacity of 10 tons and less – category J
  • Tractors with equipment and smaller types of earthmoving machines (4t and under) – category I
  • Basket cranes and concrete pumps – category D
  • Rollers – category L
  • Paving machines for tarmac – ​​category M
  • Loading cranes – category P

Yes, the course is an online course developed in collaboration with Iðan Educational Center.

The course is held as a remote course through the Teams teleconferencing system. The course consists of 32 lessons spread over 2.5 weeks. Participants take part in a timed program as well as listen to lectures, take part in discussions and do self-study during the period.

Learning assessment is done by testing the general part of the course. The student also works on an independent project in the field(s) for which they are seeking recognition.

The course takes approximately twelve hours to complete and is available to participants for one week. You can split it up as you like and take it at a time that suits you. However, it is recommended that the course be taken during working hours.

Registration takes place on the AOSH’s registration page,

Here is an overview of courses available.

You can find all the information about the AOSH’s courses on our website under services.

Applications are made on the AOSH’s website by registering for the course Service Providers in Occupational Health and Safety below.

The course is usually held annually at the beginning of each year.

Before the participants register to participate, they are encouraged to send an application for expert recognition to the AOSH for the field(s) in which their expertise covers, in which case the qualification for recognition can be assessed before the course begins.

Below you will find a special application form for experts that must be filled in, signed and sent to the AOSH at The application must be accompanied by information on education and diplomas for confirmation, along with a CV.

When there is an assessment that the applicant has sufficient knowledge in a specific field, the person can register for the course for Service Providers in Occupational Health and Safety.

If recognition is applied for after completion of the course, a situation may arise where the qualification for recognition is not assessed as sufficient. It is therefore advisable to apply in advance, if possible.


All invoices from the AOSH that are paid with online payments can be found at For other invoices, inquiries can be sent to

Invoices for inspections of heavy machinery and equipment can be found at

All invoices for the AOSH inspection fees can be found at

Requests for transaction lists can be sent to A transaction list for inspection fees can also be found on

Many trade unions reimburse various costs for courses, other education or obtaining certifications. It is good to contact your own trade union to check your rights.

Invoices for the AOSH’s inspection fees always go to the registered owner. The change of ownership can be carried out electronically via My Pages on the AOSH’s website. Comments regarding invoices can be sent to

Heavy Machinery Certifications

In order to obtain a license for heavy machinery, it is necessary to take a theoretical course on the operation and handling of heavy machinery. A preliminary course entitles you to take a practical exam on smaller types of heavy machinery. A basic course entitles you to take a practical exam on all types of heavy machinery.

After the theoretical course, practical training takes place under the guidance of a person who has the required qualifications. You can also get training and take practical exams in a heavy machinery simulator at the AOSH.

At the end of the practical training at the workplace, a practical exam takes place, which is applied for here on the website. A valid photo ID must be shown before the exam. On completion of a practical exam, a heavy machinery license is issued, granting the right to operate a specified heavy machinery.

In addition to the traditional version of heavy machinery certificates, it is also possible to get issued a digital machine certificate. The digital machine certificate appears in the app and from there it can be downloaded into the “wallet” of smart devices that supports it.

The price can be found under item 108 of the our tariff list.

General heavy machinery licenses are valid until the age of 70, but crane certifications must be renewed every ten years. A medical certificate must be submitted with the renewal request.

This can be done by contacting or by coming to the AOSH’s reception. When renewing expired licenses, a medical certificate (general certificate) must be submitted.

The heavy machinery license is sent by mail to the license holder or the payer in the case of an invoice transaction.

In addition to the traditional version of heavy machinery certificates, it is also possible to get issued a digital machine certificate. The digital machine certificate appears in the app and from there it can be downloaded into the “wallet” of smart devices that supports it.

To be issued a heavy machinery license, you must have a valid driving license, among other things. Therefore, it is not possible to acquire the right to operate heavy machinery without taking a driving test.

Heavy machinery licenses will not be invalidated at the same time as driving licenses, but they are limited to fenced areas and company grounds. The police decide where traffic laws apply if there is any doubt.

Residents within the European Economic Area (EEA) have the right to have heavy machinery certifications from EEA member states recognized in other EEA countries in accordance with the Act on the Recognition of Professional Qualifications and Competence for Employment in Iceland.

The Administration of Occupational Safety and Health of the country in which recognition is applied for evaluates the certification into its system.

In order to be able to take a practical exam and obtain a heavy machinery license, the examinee must have completed a theoretical course at the AOSH or other parties that offer heavy machinery courses along with practical training under the guidance of an instructor.

If the applicant intends to pay for the practical exam themselves, they choose individual registration and then complete the registration form by going to the payment page and paying by card.

If a company intends to cover the costs of the practical exam and the employee’s certificate, it can request an invoice.

In the case of an individual registration, you have to pay by card, but if it is a company registration, you can request an invoice.

Because when working with such machinery, you often work with a load that is far away from the person controlling the machinery, and it is therefore necessary that that person has good eyesight and hearing. Normal mobility is also required when heavy machinery license are issued.

Some heavy machinery can be very similar in nature, for example in terms of control equipment, and therefore it is considered appropriate to also grant certifications in the category that may contain a smaller version of similar machinery.

An example of this is that when certifications in categories E and F are issued, the person also receives certifications in category I. The same applies when certifications are issued in categories B and P, but then the person also receives certifications in category D. Likewise, when certifications are issued in category K, but then the person also receives certifications in category J.

On the issued license, the validity period is marked in the fields of the heavy machinery certifications that are valid. You can also get a digital heavy machinery license at

You can apply to become an instructor when the license holder has completed 1,000 working hours working on a machine in the relevant license category. This is done by filling out the form Teaching license for heavy machinery.

Yes, if there have been changes, a new instructor can be given when the examiner arrives.

In that case there are two possibilities in the situation. Either set a new time and use the old registration form or delete the registration and fill it out again when the employee is at work.

Yes, it is possible to add a new party on site in the case of invoice transactions.

The examiner then enters information about the new examinee, but in the case of a practical exam in certification categories A, B, C, D, or P, the relevant employee must present a medical certificate and provide an on-site instructor.

If it is an individual registration, you have to go through registration on the website.

There are three possible ways to do this:

First of all, you can give the instructor’s mobile phone number or email address, who will receive a link via SMS or email. If they have the required teaching certifications in the relevant certifications category, they confirm that practical training has taken place.

Secondly, the instructor, if they are on site, can sign for the examiner.

Thirdly, you can print out the Teacher’s Certificate form and get the instructor’s signature there to confirm that practical training has taken place.

Heavy Machinery Simulators

Yes, all those who; are 17 years old, have a driving license and have their theoretical certifications.

Each session is 45 minutes.

Information on prices can be found in the AOSH’s tariff.

You must be 17 years old and have a driving license.

It can vary greatly, the inspector evaluates it in each case individually.

Crane licenses A, B, P and earthmoving machinery licenses E, F, I and J can be taken in a simulator.

More information can be found on the information page about heavy machinery simulators.

You need to have acquired theoretical certifications.

You need to bring a completed application for a practical exam in a heavy machinery simulator and a valid photo ID.

It is necessary to present a medical certificate in the case of crane certifications.

The heavy machinery simulators are only located at the AOSH’s office at Dvergshöfði 2 in Reykjavík.

You can make an appointment by sending an inquiry to or by calling 550 4600.

Yes, if you are going to take a crane exam, you need to bring a medical certificate.

Heavy Machinery and Equipment

Once you have received a number plate from us, you can clear the device through customs. An inspector from the AOSH then contacts you and brings the plate for the machinery and inspects it.

You can find the price of the change of ownership of heavy machinery in the AOSH’s tariff here on the website.

Only the insurance companies can provide information on whether there is insurance on heavy machinery. The AOSH does not have that information.

The serial number can be found by going to My Pages at the AOSH’s website or at

You can see the price of the new registration of heavy machinery/equipment in the AOSH tariff here on the website.

The price of an inspection of heavy machinery/equipment depends on the size and type of machinery. See more in the AOSH tariff.

The AOSH does not require insurance and it is the responsibility of the owner of the machinery to contact the insurance companies.

You can deregister heavy machinery on My Pages on the AOSH’s website. To do this, you need to have an electronic ID or an Íslykill.

You need to contact the AOSH at  tel: 550 4600 and provide the registration number of the machinery.

Change of ownership can be carried out on My Pages on the AOSH’s website. For this you need electronic ID or an Íslykill.

Change of custodian can be done on My Pages at AOSH’s website. For this you need electronic ID or Íslykill.

On the AOSH’s registration website.

The model year of the machinery can be found by visiting My Pages at the AOSH’s website or at

You can apply for a new registration of heavy machinery/equipment on My Pages on AOSH’s website. To do this, you need to have an electronic ID or an Íslykill.

Information about this can be found in the registration manual for  heavy machinery and equipment.

Heavy machinery must be inspected annually. In addition, machinery must be inspected before and after repairs and structural changes.

You can book an inspection of heavy machinery here.

Yes, all heavy machinery to be registered must be CE marked.

Accidents at Work

Yes. You can enter your electronic ID but need to make a change in the first section. Take out your ID number and enter your company’s ID number.

The AOSH is not authorized to hand over accident reports to anyone other than the persons they refer to, as they contain sensitive personal information. This applies even if the employer who reported the accident is requesting it.

The injured party can download the notification at

The employer should report an accident at work.

Motor and Musculoskeletal System

In the written Health and Safety Plan, it should be assessed whether one or two people are needed to get the client out of bed and into a chair or to the toilet when using a canvas lift. It depends on the ability of the person being helped.

If the person is unable to assist by lifting themselves, turning or does not understand what is being asked of them, the assessment should allow for two people to assist when using the canvas lift.

If you experience discomfort from the musculoskeletal system that you think is caused by work or has worsened because of it, it is important to talk to your employer. It should be jointly assessed whether something in the work environment or work organization could be improved to reduce the likelihood of further problems. You should also consult a general practitioner who will direct you to the appropriate professional if treatment is needed.

The general practitioner is obliged to report occupational illnesses and work-related illnesses to the AOSH.

According to the Nordic assessment system for physical strain at work, a more detailed assessment is required when working with loads weighing 3-25 kilos. If the load is over 25 kilos, the work has become unacceptable due to the strain on the musculoskeletal system.

The Regulation on Safety and Hygiene When Handling Loads states, among other things:

  • The employer must take organizational measures or use appropriate aids, in particular machinery, to avoid workers having to handle loads.
  • When it is unavoidable that workers handle loads, the employer must plan working conditions, use appropriate equipment or provide workers with aids to reduce the risk inherent in their work, taking into account Annex I attached to the rules.

Work conditions should be organized so that employees do not have to stand continuously for long hours.

The Regulation on Work in a Refrigerated Space During Food Production applies.

The employer must make sure that the production, work and processing methods are applied which ensure that the employees do not suffer health damage due to the cold during their work. To that end, the employer must use the technical solutions that are available at any given time to prevent the effects of the cold.

When organizing work, the employer must try to reduce the effects of monotonous work and unfortunate muscle strain. It must be ensured that it is possible to adapt the working conditions to each employee, among other things with regard to working height, field of vision and reach distance.

Be sure to read the section on this page called working in a home.

According to law, it must be ensured that employees work in good conditions. Employers must ensure that workers who handle loads receive instruction in correct body exertion, instruction in the correct use of aids and information about the risks they may be taking if the work is not done correctly.

It is also important that staff receive training on exertion and that everyone’s working environment, wherever they work, is as good as possible.

Employees must be able to stand directly in front of the dishwasher and have space to work on either side of it. Therefore, the dishwasher should be placed in the space so that there is good access to it.

It is not recommended that dishwashers are placed in a corner. If this cannot be avoided, care must be taken to ensure that there is a lifting button on the dishwasher in order to eliminate at least one stress factor in the work process and thus facilitate work in such conditions.

When a dishwasher is located in a corner, employees usually stand in place and twist their spine to move a rack to the dishwasher and in and out of the dishwasher, as legroom at the dishwasher is limited. Employees have to work with their arms far away from the body and in that position pull a heavy load when racks are placed in and taken out of the dishwasher.

When opening and closing a dishwasher located in a corner, staff usually use only one arm, not both, as can be done if the dishwasher is located against a wall with good access on both sides. Repeatedly using only one arm increases the strain on the arm and shoulder area on that side. If a dishwasher is located in a corner, the work of cleaning staff will be difficult and body posture will be poor.

It is stated in the Regulation on the Use of Equipment that the employer must also take full account of the working conditions of the employees and their posture when using equipment when the provisions on environment, hygiene and safety are enforced. Furthermore, they should consider the main principles of ergonomics.

Social Work Envoronment

The AOSH receives comments/complaints and examines whether a risk assessment has been carried out with a focus on the pshycosocial work environment at the workplace and whether there is a policy and response plan against bullying, harassment and/or violence in place.

If there is not, it is required that it be prepared in accordance with the Regulation on Measures Against Bullying, Sexual Harassment, Gender-Based Harassment and Violence in the Workplace.

It is important to check if the workplace has a policy and response plan against bullying, harassment and/or violence. The policy and the response plan should state where to seek assistance within the workplace if employees believe they are being bullied, harassed and/or abused.

In the absence of a defined policy and response plan, it is important to notify your immediate supervisor or another manager in the workplace. They must respond to issues they become aware of or suspect are going on in the workplace. It is always the responsibility of the workplace to solve the problem.

See detailed instructions in the brochure We Do Not Tolerate Bullying, Harassment, Violence.

The AOSH does not investigate individual cases, but examines working conditions and focuses on obtaining information about the psychosocial work environment, which includes organization and communication in the workplace as a whole.

The AOSH’s role is to ensure that the environment of employees is in accordance with the Act on Environment, Hygiene and Safety at Work.

Check if there is a policy and response plan against bullying, harassment and/or violence in the workplace. There you should be able to see where to seek assistance. For example, to the workplace Shop Steward or Safety Representative.

It is good to read the definitions of the terms on this page. If there is no policy and response plan against bullying, harassment and violence in your workplace, point it out.

You can inform your immediate supervisor, but if they are the perpetrator, you will need to speak with other managers or the parties specified in the workplace’s anti-bullying, harassment and violence policy and response plan.

The policy and response plan should state who employees should contact to report such behavior. If that is not available, criteria can be found in the Regulation on Measures Against Bullying, Harassment or Violence or in the instruction brochure We Do Not Tolerate Bullying, Harassment, Violence.

All such complaints should be taken seriously and discussed with managers or others within the workplace about how to respond. If the workplace has a policy and response plan against bullying, harassment and violence in the workplace, it should include a document on how to respond to the complaint.

If there is not, criteria can be found in the Regulation on Measures Against Bullying, Harassment or Violence or in the brochure We Do Not Tolerate Bullying, Violence, Harassment.

Young People at Work

A family business is considered to be a business that is owned by individuals or a person who is a relative of a young person by direct or indirect relationship or connected to them in the same way through adoption. Family businesses include, for example, the businesses of parents, grandparents and parents’ siblings.

The birthday.

Children can lift 8-10 kilos and teenagers 12 kilos.

  • Child means a person under the age of 15, or a person who is in compulsory education.
  • Teenager means a person who has reached the age of 15, but is under the age of 18 and no longer in compulsory education.

The Act on Environment, Hygiene and Safety at Work and the Regulation on the Work of Children and Teenagers, which is based on the aforementioned Act.

Environmental Factors

The Regulation on Protection Against Stress Due to Noise at Workplaces applies to any type of activity where employees are at risk or may be at risk of being stressed due to noise during their work. Its aim is to ensure the safety and protect the health of employees who are at risk or may be at risk of being exposed to stress due to noise during their work, especially stress that may lead to hearing damage.

The AOSH supervises the implementation of the regulation, cf. Article 82 of the Act on Environment, Hygiene and Safety at Work. The AOSH can, among other things, require noise measurements to be made, cf. Article 18 of the same Act.

As with any other hazard, there is a prioritization of measures to prevent or control risk: exclusion, replacement, personal protective equipment, and so on. The basic principle is to make the workplace as quiet as possible, but to use suitable and adequate hearing protection when all technically feasible efforts have been made to limit noise.

Noise exclusion and control can be achieved in the following ways:

  • Engineering. For example, controlling vibrations by dampening or tightening parts of the noise source
  • Planning. For example, through sensible procurement or by organizing work to reduce the exposure of the employees involved
  • Protection of personnel. Use appropriate personal protective equipment as a last resort

The options can be summarized as follows:

  • If possible, remove noise from the workplace
  • Control noise at source. By identifying what is really causing the noise and how to deal with the problem
  • With purposeful organization. For example, by preventing noise, workplace design such as isolating noise or having appropriate acoustics within the work area to reduce its transmission
  • With individual prevention. Personal protective equipment should be used as an interim noise reduction measure if the measures above are not adequate

  • Before employees start work in a noisy work environment, they should have their hearing tested to confirm their hearing ability.
  • Employees must be offered a second hearing test within twelve months of the first test and then repeated at five-year intervals.
  • Employees exposed to noise above 80 dB(A) (with or without hearing protection) can have their hearing tested at the employer’s expense every two years. This must include audiometry (a hearing test).